Looking for opinions on a trade...

Post anything related to Mopar vehicles here!

Looking for opinions on a trade...

Postby MOPAR_AMC_FAN » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:35 am

Howdy all. I have a small dilemma that I'm looking for some input on. As some of you know, I have a 96 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 318/5 speed combo. It's a regular cab/short bed with the only real option being A/C. It has some rust, but isn't totally rotted out and it runs well with only a few minor mechanical ailments. Well, I recently broke my left knee (after braking my right knee last November...don't ask.) and won't be using the truck for a while due to it being a stick. I recently came across someone looking to trade truck for truck and am really considering it, but wanted thoughts. It's a 90 W250 4x4 with...wait for it...a Cummins. It's got low(er) mileage at around 139K and has full power and A/C. I like it for a few reasons. One, it's an auto, so I can drive it. Two, I've been thinking about something with a bit more power for towing. And three, it's a long bed which I kind of want. Now for the bad. It needs a steering box and a brake master, both of which are no big deal, really. Oh, and the cab mounts are GONE. They're pretty bad. I'd either have to get them fixed or swap the cab at some point. Otherwise, not having seen the truck in person yet, it sounds and looks like it's in good, well, at least decent shape. It won't be a show vehicle, just something I can tow and haul (and probably plow my driveway) with.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my truck. It serves its purpose. But I doesn't tow a car on a trailer the greatest and I do like the styling of the earlier trucks better. That and the fact I could actually drive the other truck... If the Cummins was an extended cab (or I guess the proper term is Club Cab), I'd be all over it.

So, what do you think? If it looks good in person, think it sounds like a decent swap? Another angle I was kind of thinking of is my truck is only worth so much whereas a low(er) mileage Cummins would have a better value should I need or want to sell it down the road.

Any questions, ask away. Any thoughts, post them up. Thanks!
MOPAR_AMC_FAN

Re: Looking for opinions on a trade...

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:56 pm

I think it sounds like a pretty good truck and a great deal as long as you're willing to do the work it needs yourself.

The cab mounts are probably what is holding the value of that truck back - as long as that Cummins motor runs well and the rest of the truck is decent, I'd be willing to bet its worth about $6k with good mounts. Your truck would be lucky to pull that much money.
That Cummins will run forever and return better mileage than the 318 at almost all times - granted, diesel fuel is more expensive, though.

I've got this idea in the back of my head to convert my Satellite wagon to Cummins power someday... I have some kind of a fascination with the idea of owning a diesel and I've looked at a couple of 1g Cummins powered pickups. Problem is, they're always so expensive, I can never afford to buy one.

Sorry to hear about your knee - good luck with the healing process and with the possible truck trade!
Ryan - MassMopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger | 1969 Dodge Coronet Deluxe Wagon
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi
Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Postby bear » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:57 pm

First off , Sorry to hear about your health issues . Hope you get better quickly . :D As for the truck question . Did he send you any pictures of it and more importantly , did he send you any pictures of the problem with the cab mount or mounts ? Are the mounts them selves bad ( rubber bushings ) or is the mount brackets bad ? If it's the mount brackets then is it the frame side or the floor side ? The steering box and master ( like you said ) isn't really a big deal and like Ryan said , as long as you don't mind doing the work yourself . Personally , I think the pre 93 Dodge trucks are a better truck then the later ones . I just happen to own a couple of Dodge trucks myself . :roll:
bear

Postby MOPAR_AMC_FAN » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks for the replays. He did send pics of the mounts and it's the whole mount, not just the rubbers, on the cab side. They are bad. Could be fixable or more likely a cab replacement. I'm hoping to check out the truck in person this weekend. When I got it, I liked my 96 because it was a 318, 5 speed, standard cab, short bed with A/C. Just what I was looking for. But I've always preferred the styling of the pre 94s better and now I need more truck. At 175K, our Jeep is getting a little tired, so I'd prefer to have something else to tow with.

Thanks again for the info! I'll keep you posted!
MOPAR_AMC_FAN

Postby 68383 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:40 am

If your knee is hurting, do you want to get into what sounds like a pretty big project?

Speeling mistakes do two iPhone
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Typos due to iPhone.
MassMopar Moderator

Return to Mopar Car Talk