Need advice, Craigslist rip off

Post anything related to Mopar vehicles here!

Need advice, Craigslist rip off

Postby meangene83 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:29 pm

I am unsure where to turn. My next step will logically be the local police then a lawyer...

I am looking for advice if anyone has any in this area. Personal experience would be useful.

The story goes...
After meeting this person on Craigslist and working with him since January they have gone MIA completely. Non responsive to email or phone calls over a period of Months. We developed a great friendship and mutual respect over this time so it is very surprising to not hear a peep? I must assume the worst.

$500 down payment has been exchanged and parts provided from me in excess of $800, this person was supposed to provide a finished engine. We changed the deal mid way through amicably and No service has been provided and no parts or money returned.

They probably feel because I live in Boston and they live in NH, that I will just give up and let it go. They are mistaken, I entirely plan on taking this to its conclusion.

I have no other mutual friends with this person, no other phone numbers or emails. A google search pops up what look like family members, I will not be that psycho that calls family members and hounds him.

As of now I sent him a polite email explaining that I have a large paper trail, a signed contract showing the down payment and if I did not hear from him by Monday. My next call would be to his local Police and my lawyer.

Any advice? Perhaps someone here knows of him. He deals a lot with Craigslist parts and from our conversations his name travels far.
Hopefully someone could confirm he hasn't died? And then help us reach a conclusion before the Police are involved?

I can provide more info from PM.

Thank you for the help.
meangene83

Re: Need advice, Craigslist rip off

Postby 68383 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:21 pm

Hopefully the guy is alright.

Just do what you outlined. There are plenty of takers and scammers out there. If he's not responsive, you'll never know until you get the authorities involved.

I had a similar problem with a landscaper. I won a court case and he just magically disappeared. The police can't even find him. He's probably living in a relative's basement bill free so he can't be found.

Speeling mistakes do too iPhone
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Typos due to iPhone.
MassMopar Moderator

Postby torredcuda » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:38 pm

Where in NH does he live?
torredcuda

Postby meangene83 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:27 am

He lives in Merrimack NH.
meangene83

Postby meangene83 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:28 am

Thank you for the advice. I really hope to not involve the authorities, that is going to mean a lot of wasted time. I am self employed and as such my time is extremely valuable.
meangene83

Postby 68383 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:59 pm

The court ruling in MA is good for 10 years. I'm biding my time and will find the guy.

68383 / Dave

Typos due to iPhone.
MassMopar Moderator

Postby FFEMTC » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:09 pm

There is always the chance he was seriously injured or died. Sometimes relatives will not bother return a lost loved one's calls or correspondence. But it sure doesn't sound good.

I have a friend who is a PI in Boston and can chase him down, but of course it would be for a fee. No idea what he charges, but he is really good, helped me find a woman who hit my wife's car. I've known him since grade school. If he can't find out, no one can.
FFEMTC

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:36 pm

I'd start by going to his place to talk to him.

That might cost you your own time, but it won't cost you anything in terms of paying a PI or lawyer.

Then you just need to decide what direction you want to take to get things going.
You either want to contact a lawyer and send him a nasty letter detailing your plans for a suit, or you want to contact a PI and have the PI find this guy.
Problem is that there is no guarantee that you get anything either way - the guy can ignore your letter and suit, and once the PI finds him, there is no guarantee that the guy stays wherever he is when the PI finds him.

Honestly, you are in a tough place.
I am an attorney (real estate, I can't really help you much here, so this is practical advice versus legal advice), but I suggest you try to find the guy yourself and then engage the services of one of my fellow lawyers to see what they think of your situation.
Ryan - MassMopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger | 1969 Dodge Coronet Deluxe Wagon
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi
Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Postby 68383 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:59 pm

I had the attorneys do their thing. Then I was advised to get the police involved. Now I'll have to go down the Magnum PI route, since Roscoe and Enos couldn't help.

Once you get a decision by the court in your favor, and you find the clown, wages can be garnished. Or so I've been told.

68383 / Dave

Typos due to iPhone.
MassMopar Moderator

Postby Superbee500 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:11 pm

I ran into a similar problem with a small local engine about 15 years ago.
Snake Eyes is on the right track, go see him in person. Emails will go nowhere and unfortunately the police will most likely tell you to take him to small claims court.

The cash you gave him is most likely gone and you will have to take him to court, hopefully you can at least get your parts back.

Please don't take this as I'm being jerk or arrogant but this is why I stay away from Craig's list.
To many scum bags trying to sell things or perform services they cant provide.
It will always cost more money to use a reputable shop but at least if there's an issue you know where your stuff is and can get it back.

when I ran into this situation I had the cops go with me,I at least got my core motor back, rebuild kit, intake, carb and other parts.
The money I had given the guy was gone and even though I won my court case I never saw a dime.

Hopefully you have your receipts for your parts, you'll need them.

Kevin
Superbee500

Next

Return to Mopar Car Talk