Sneke_Eyez's 1969 Plymouth Satellite Station Wagon

Post Your Mopar Project Here!

Sneke_Eyez's 1969 Plymouth Satellite Station Wagon

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:41 pm

Man I've owned the car now for almost 3 months and I haven't posted a thread about it! What a shame!

Most of you followed along while I agonized about buying this car, but in the end, I pulled the trigger. Thanks to so many of you for your help in deciding whether she was the right project for me.

The car is a 1969 Plymouth Satellite 6 Passenger Station Wagon.
She is usually referred to in my house as "The Wagon" or the "Radio Flyer".

I flew down to Washington, DC with my best friend at the end of May 2014 and together we drove the Wagon home over the course of the weekend, stopping at junkyards along the way and having a blast. She only overheated once, and that's because I was giving her just too much pedal on a steep uphill grade. She quickly cooled down, I topped off the coolant, and she behaved the rest of the trip.

The Wagon was a Washington, DC area car for her entire life, and I purchased her from the second owner, who bought her from the original owner's son.
She appears to have been well taken care of, but she was definitely used, and shows plenty of little dents and a crappy repaint for it. Beauty marks, we'll call them.

As for specifications, from the factory she was equipped with the following:
318 V8 - 2 barrel
Column Shifted A904 3 Speed TorqueFlight Transmission
Factory R6 Red with Black interior.
14'' Steel Wheels with Plymouth Center Caps.

I did find the build sheet under the front seat, but the build sheet seems to be for a Q5 on Q5 teal wagon, so I need to see whether it matches up before I delve into further specs.

Here she is 4 days after I brought her into Massachusetts:

Fender Tag:

Since May, I have done a number of projects to the Wagon, but I have also spent an awful lot of time driving her. I have put almost 2000 miles on the car since I bought it, and I have been loving every minute of it. I try to do everything within a day so that I can drive the car with every spare moment I have.

To start, I replaced the rotted, nasty ground cable with 0 gauge welding wire that comes factory in a modern Charger/300/Magnum. If you ever need to redo power wiring in a vehicle, look for one of the LX cars in the junkyard - I got the entire length of wire from a Magnum for $5 at Everett's in Brockton - enough that a future project is replacing the positive cable to the starter.

Then the car needed an inspection, which required a new windshield - the original one was cracked badly. Since 4 door and wagon B Bodies did not share the windshield of the coupe, hardtop and convertible cars, I had to track down a decent used piece. Tiny and Son's Auto Glass in Pembroke replaced the windshield for me.

After that, the car started to give me starting problems, so I replaced the factory starter with the modern Mopar mini starter found on the later Dodge Trucks - mine was spec'ed for a 93 Dakota.

With the new starter in the car, the undersized battery was just not putting out enough juice for it, so I replaced the battery with the correct size. Car starts like a dream now!

Right before the Cars of Summer Car Show in July, I decided I wanted to install my Roadrunner headlight bezels that I bought for the car, so I painted the grille to match.
Unfortunately I determined that the seller had given me such a good price because they were both passenger's side bezels!

So for the Cars of Summer show, I had one Roadrunner bezel, a painted grille, and one silver Satellite bezel.
Still, it made the front page of the Cars of Summer Show coverage by one of my favorite car websites, Bangshift.com:
http://bangshift.com/general-news/event ... achusetts/

At Carlisle, I picked up a new battery tray, one NOS and one good used taillight bezel, a Roadrunner headlight bezel, and new carpet for the car, but those items had to wait until I finished the bar exam.

After I finished the bar exam at the end of July, I took a week off to relax and spent most of my week wrenching away on the Wagon. A form of car therapy, if you will.

First project was to install the other Roadrunner bezel - ahh, much better, no more silver:

Then came the battery tray, which you can certainly see was a priority:

I degreased everything under it and washed it all down - eventually I will take the tray out when I paint the engine bay to paint underneath it.

I also replaced the bolts that were missing in these pictures:

Nice and secure - though now I need a hold down kit!

Then came nice, non-pitted taillight bezels, apparently I didn't take any close-up pictures.

After that it was on to the carpet - and man did it need new carpet. The original carpet had had it, and when you vacuumed, it tried to rip away:

Out with the old:

After the old carpet was out, I vacuumed, washed and dried the floors:

Then I wire wheeled the areas where I saw scale, which revealed a small hole in the passenger's floorpan:

Sorry for the crapppppy picture, for some reason my DSLR didn't focus on the hole like I thought it did.

Initially that bummed me out pretty good, but then I cut a piece of metal from a spare quarter panel I have laying around, bent it all up to fit, and jb welded it in place. For such a small hole, I just couldn't see the need to bring a real welder into things. Not the "right" way to do it, but most I have talked to agreed that it wasn't worth the extra effort.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of said patch installed, which is sad because I was pretty proud of it.

Then it was onto the carpet install - but first, I Rust Morted the scaly areas of the floor and then my father and I painted the entire floor with Hammerite Rust Cap, which is very similar to POR15 and is what we used on the floor of our Dart with success.

Actually, this is a place where pictures weren't taken with my own camera, but with my mom's, so I don't have these pictures to post yet. Instead I'll just describe what I did, and eventually I'll post them.

When the Rust Cap was dry, my father and I laid down Dynamat Extreme all over the entire floor. I decided it wasn't worth it to have the floors exposed like that and not put down some sort of sound deadener and heat insulation.

Following the Dynamat, my father and I put the new carpet into the car, which was time consuming, but came out pretty nicely.

It still needs to lay down a bit, but between the new carpet and the Dynamat, the car feels like a whole different place to be:

Then came a non "necessary" upgrade - I have always wanted Mopar Performance Valve covers for the Dart, but my dad has always liked the Mickey Thompson ones it came with, so Mopar Performance Valve Covers were certain to come to the project before too long, and when Summit sent me a coupon, I knew it was time. I love the way they take away some of the "old man" from the motor:

Next came a new steering wheel, the stock wheel had a loose horn ring and numerous cracks. Honestly, I've never been a big fan of the way classic car steering wheels feel, they're always too big in diameter and too skinny in rim diameter. The Grant Elite GT had caught my eye at several shows and when I found one on sale at Pep Boys, they found a buyer, its perfect in rim diameter, even if I think it could be a bit bigger in wheel diameter:

After the valve covers got installed I wired up an LED third brake light that I got out of a Volvo V70 wagon at the junkyard. This was just one of those items I wanted to keep people from rearending me. It ended up being pretty easy to install, though running the wires was time consuming. Overall, I think it looks nice, and almost like a factory item. I have a lighted picture somewhere that I'll add soon.

I have a new rear bumper waiting for me to be able to figure out how to get the old bumper off the car - its stuck on there pretty good:

That takes me to where the Wagon is now, which is sitting in the driveway waiting for a new driver's front brake line, which she decided to blow last Thursday night before the Bass Pro Shop Cruise - I guess she didn't want to go.
My stainless steel brake line kit will be here on Thursday, and I'm itching to get the new line installed so I can drive her.

There are numerous other projects planned for her - new fenders, some work on the rust on the gate, an Edelbrock Performer and Edelbrock 600 waiting to go on soon, wheels, and some minor interior modifications, but everything is sort of stalled right now while I wait for brake lines.

She ain't necessarily the prettiest girl at the party, but she's mine, and I wouldn't trade her for the world!

Thanks for looking and I hope to be able to update this thread more frequently with news of the Wagon!
Ryan - MassMopar Site Administrator
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon | 1969 Dodge Coronet 440 Coupe
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger | 1969 Dodge Coronet Deluxe Wagon
2002 Intrepid ES | 2004 300M Special | 2001 Concorde LXi
Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Location: Dedham, but my classic Mopars are in North Brookfield, MA

Re: Sneke_Eyez's 1969 Plymouth Satellite Station Wagon

Postby Greg55_99 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:55 am

Hey Sneke.
I saw your car at the Elks in Auburn a few weeks ago. I hung around to see if I could talk to you, but you must have been in the field. Your car sure did get a LOT of looks (and smiles). Good job Attorney Sneke!

Greg
Greg55_99

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:52 am

Greg,

I'm sorry I missed you!
That was my first day out from the bar exam, I spent the entire day driving the wagon around to various junkyards and ended up in Grafton where my grandparents live, so I went to the Elks show with my grandfather.
The threat of rain kept some people away, but it was a fun trip!
I went to the Upton VFW cruise on Tuesday night following that and then the Putnam, CT cruise that weekend with my grandfather - both were good shows!

People do seem to love the wagon, and I'm getting the same reaction to it that I get to the Dart: People all have their own ideas about how to build it!
Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Postby 68383 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm

What did you end up doing with the other car you had bought? The blue one, if I remember right.

Speeling mistakes do two iPhone
68383 / Dave

Current Mopars- 69 Super Bee- 522, 4 speed, 95 Ram- 360, auto, 4wd
Prior- 68 Charger, 72 Demon, 72 & 75 Darts, 73 Challenger, 74 Scamp

Typos due to iPhone.
MassMopar Moderator

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 am

68383 wrote:What did you end up doing with the other car you had bought? The blue one, if I remember right.

Speeling mistakes do two iPhone

Still got it, been slowly removing little parts and pieces that were in better shape on it than on this one.
I'll have it up for sale probably at the end of the summer or early next spring.
Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Postby bear » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:55 am

Look'in Good Ryan ! :D I'm glad to see the progress you've been making on her and your enjoying your new pride and joy while "your" working on it . One of these days we'll be at the same place at the same time so I can finally check it out in person . Do you know what shows or cruise's your planning to go to in the next few week's ? I "think" the wife's been planning the show in Attleboro this week end and I'm pretty sure she was talking about going to the Spindles show in Marshfield on the 31'st .
bear

Postby dge467 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Looks good Ryan. Coming along nicely!
dge467

Postby bear » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:18 am

I know it's a 68 but I thought this might be a little inspiration for you Ryan . :D
Attachments
IMG_3136.JPG
IMG_3136.JPG (241.11 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
IMG_3135.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG (255.26 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
bear

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:31 pm

bear wrote:I know it's a 68 but I thought this might be a little inspiration for you Ryan . :D

That car is pretty nice, isn't it?

It has been at Carlisle the last two years and I've seen it at a few shows in the CT/Southern MA area.
I've looked it over a bunch of times to get reference points and ideas for mine.
Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Postby Sneke_Eyez » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:46 pm

The wagon got a little upgrade last night in the way of some 18x8 MB Wheels Old Schools - I found the set with tires for such a good deal on DiscountTireDirect.com that I couldn't pass them up!

Now unfortunately, the car wants to handle well, but if I crank the steering wheel, it wallows like a ship in a storm!

Next will simply have to be some of the Hotchkis Fox shocks and to either install the Hotchkis rear bar and cut the exhaust, or buy a Hellwig and use that.

I love the look of the car with the wheels, though, they're perfect!
Sneke_Eyez
Site Admin

Next

Return to Mopar Project Showcase