68 plymouth gtx

Just Wanna Chat? This is the place!

Re: 68 plymouth gtx

Postby drl » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:36 pm

Comp Cam K21-671-4 Lift .484"/.484" Duration 284"/291" Lobe separation angle 108 RPM range 2300 - 6300

It sounds as if you are going through the same motions as me in regards to the wires. I tried the shorty plugs with Taylor (boots to bulky) and then MSD 90 degree boots with sleeves to protect the wires from heat from the Hooker Competition headers and still fried a wire inside the sleeve. My final solution was Champion R14Y's with the Accel Ceramic boots.

In short instead of trying to get away from headers by going under them, I went the other way and extended past them. You notice the boots are long. The 135 boots ae the longest followed by the straight boots and then the 90 degree boots. I bought one straight boot and one 135 boot to determine what I needed. Mancini Racing sells sets with seven 90's with one 135. However, so far I have found mine to work better. I am running solid mounts which prevents the engine from rocking.
drl

Postby bear » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:22 am

Not a bad cam for your combination ! :D It must have a nice idle as well . .... I'm not sure if you've ever done a big block truck , but the biggest problem is that they don't make a header for that combo that doesn't have issues . On any of the big block cars that I've done , I've never really had issues with burning wires . Just the trucks . And I'm talking anything from my 69 Charger , any of my GTX's or Runners , or even big block Darts . Just to name a few that I've had personally . But the trucks are a pain in the but ! On the 440 lil red I built years ago I ended up with Headman's on that one . There really wasn't any spark plug issues but it did run close to the frame on the drivers side . I was thinking of getting a set of those after I sold my Dart and trying them on this winter . But for now I'm just trying to deal with what I got and make it work . I'm tired of running the truck one or two times and then finding and changing burnt wires . "Hopefully" I've solved it for now . Now I have a new issue with it . The battery is showing it's age and doesn't want to turn and run this 440 . It'll start my Dart , my Ramcharger and my 97 Sport . But this 440 ? Noooooooo ! lol As soon as get a couple of dollars put aside , I'm going to have to pick up another yellow top for it like I run in the Dart . It's always something ! lol
bear

Postby drl » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:33 pm

I always had problems with the headers. Having to dimple them for wire clearance. I am an old guy, but if I remember right my 1970 six barrel Cuda had angled plugs? versus the straight ones in the 915 heads. That being said, these Accel ceramic are great!!! Remember not only are the boots good for 2000 degrees but the wires are good for 600 degrees which is higher then the 450 degrees I believe in MSD etc.

Currently I am looking for a dealer who carries a 1/8" hub centric wheel spacer 5 by 4.5 for my rear drum brakes on my 1967 GTX. Any info would be appreciated.

Cars I had ordered from factory when new:

1966 Dark blue mettallic Sport Fury 383, 4 speed, 323 rear heavy suspension silver blue interior (bought in New Orleans traded in Harrisburg, Pa.)

1968 GTX forest green mettalic, 440, 4 speed 356 rear heavy suspension loaded to the gills head rests etc. 2 tone green interior (Bought in Harrisburg, Pa traded in Harrisburg, Pa)

1970 Cuda dark green, 440-6, 4speed, 410 rear loaded to the gills (passed anything but a gas station) I sold that in New Bedford in 1974 (what a fool I was) I had spun a bearing at 40,000 miles and the engine was rebuilt by a speed shop in Waltham, Mass. bored .030 over with a cam. I think I remember getting 6 MPG on the highway HAH!!!

I was a career US Coast Guard and it was hard to take vehicles some times. Especially when you could only buy gas every other day
drl

Postby bear » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:12 pm

I'll be honest with you . I just never had good luck with Accel's . That's why I'm a little nervous about trying them . So far so good since I worked my headers . But if I do have anymore problems I'll probably end up giving them a try . "NICE" list of cars you've owned ! As far as the spacers ? It's funny , I was just looking at some a few weeks ago . If I find the link again I'll post it for you . What , are you trying to fit a little bigger sneaker in the back of the GTX ?
bear

Postby drl » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:58 pm

Rear tires a little wider than front. They were just barely rubbing. I have the spacers now. As far as plugs go I am running Champion J14Y's now. Once I stopped trying to get away from the headers by going underneath by using shorty accel plugs. I went the other way with the regular champions and the long ceramics boots. All I can say is WOW what a difference and they look fantastic !!!
drl

Postby drl » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Here is a nice MOPAR site if youhave never been there. They have tech manuals, wiring diagrams etc. And lots of knowledgable mopar people.

http://mymopar.com
drl

Postby bear » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:46 pm

drl wrote:Rear tires a little wider than front. They were just barely rubbing. I have the spacers now. As far as plugs go I am running Champion J14Y's now. Once I stopped trying to get away from the headers by going underneath by using shorty accel plugs. I went the other way with the regular champions and the long ceramics boots. All I can say is WOW what a difference and they look fantastic !!!

I've always believed in Champions in a Mopar . When I used to run my Charger , I tried all different plug combo's and heat ranges and I always ended up going back to my champs . Look's like your going to be my guinea pig on the Accel's , so if my MSD's go up in smoke then I'll be checking in with you to see how your wires are still doing . lol
bear

Postby bear » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:47 pm

drl wrote:Here is a nice MOPAR site if youhave never been there. They have tech manuals, wiring diagrams etc. And lots of knowledgable mopar people.

http://mymopar.com

Yeah that is a good site . I haven't been on there in a while though .
bear

Postby drl » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:47 am

Correction on my plugs. They are J12Y. I don't know why I kept saying 14's. I just pulled plugs to look at . All had a nice clean tan look. Everything firing great with the J12's and ceramic boot wires. Regapped plugs from .035 to .040 because of the flamethrower coil. I also use a Klotz octane booster, I throw a gallon in when I think it needs it.
drl

Postby bear » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:00 am

I knew what you meant , when you said 14's . The most common heat range for a big block is 12's . Glad to hear the plugs and wires are working out for you . So far so good on my end as well . My truck still isn't on the road but I have quite a bit run time on the motor and haven't burnt a wire yet . By now the other way this was set up I would have had to pull and clean the plug's a "few" time's and replaced more then a couple of wires .
bear

PreviousNext

Return to Shoot the Breeze